What is Palm Sunday?

3/29/2015

I was just asked this by my 14 year old earlier today.  We go to church, we go to church regularly, but she had not yet fully grasped the meaning of what Palm Sunday is...of what it means.  I guess at her age I didn't full understand what it meant either.  I was raised in church, my dad was even a Deacon of a church, but at the age of 14 that's not something I fully understood.

I understood from the early years of my childhood what Easter is, but I never really thought that often of Palm Sunday...not because I was being disrespectful, but because I really didn't understand what it was or why it existed. So to answer my daughter as accurately as possible, I thought of the scripture that is in reference to this. The story in the Bible that tells us of the triumphant entry of Jesus into Jerusalem.

Matthew 21: 8-11 (KJV) 8 And a very great multitude spread their garments in the way; others cut down branches from the trees, and strawed them in the way. 9 And the multitudes that went before, and that followed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest. 10 And when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this? 11 And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.

I tried to explain this to my 14 year old daughter as best as I could. Sometimes it's even hard for my mind to grasp what really went on that day. This is to me what Palm Sunday is referenced by though...this scripture.  A crowd getting ready for the entry of Jesus. Then I think, how awesome would it be to see Jesus?!?

Every single day though I think of how we need to make way for Jesus. Clear our minds, our hearts, and our lives enough to free up space for Jesus to be there...to make way for the Lord to be present in our lives.  Jesus has already made a way, we just need to welcome the Lord into our space!  There's always room in our lives, we just need to welcome Him and show Him that we have room for Him, and by welcoming Him into our own place (our own lives), we are able to celebrate each and every day...He is here...in our life...every single moment of it, we just have to show Him we welcome Him to make His entrance and be right where He needs to be!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments