A Snow Day Sermon?

2/22/2015




I am typing this in a snow covered parking lot on a Sunday evening. A Sunday when we wanted to be in Church, but there wasn't any, due to the weather. What has occurred this evening has once again shown me how we can show love and care to our neighbors, to our community, to the world around us...in the Church and even outside of Church.

While our family longed to be in Church...sitting in our usual seats, listening to songs of Worship, being fed from the Lord's Word with the preaching, we wasn't able to today. The weather just wouldn't allow it this morning. This evening though, as I sit in this parking lot...I am experiencing a different kind of Church, in a way.  You see, my husband's actions this evening has been a repetitive song, and His actions have even shown the love God wants us to show others...the kind preachers preach about.

You see, I know that Justin isn't doing what he's doing this evening for his own glory.  My husband is the kind of guy who helps others, and never mentions it again.  I have to write (or type) this though, I have to do this because I want to commend and encourage my husband for his actions, as the Bible says we should, and to also make this a lesson that maybe one day someone can use. 

The Bible says: " Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do." -1 Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV)

My husband isn't doing this for any recognition, he's outside, shovel in hand, and removing snow from around a car, but it's not our car.  He has did this today to help a neighbor, a fellow community member, even complete strangers, and he is doing this because he is the kind of person he is. He's letting his good works "preach" the sermon this evening.


There have been two instances this evening where he's helped someone...people whose names we don't even know. The first time was as we were leaving our subdivision to go get ice cream (yes, ice cream, even in this cold weather ) this evening.  There was a car stuck in the road, he got out and helped the owners push it unstuck. The second time was as we were coming back from the gas station. We passed a vehicle stuck on the side of the road. My husband talked of how he couldn't leave the young people in the car stuck on the side of the road. We turned around, came back to help them. My husband then realized he needed a shovel, so we drove home to get one, then came back to help these people. He is out shoveling snow from around these complete strangers car at this very moment.  Sure, we should be cautious of strangers, some people are dangerous,  but I also think of the Bible verse talking about how we may be entertaining angels and not be aware of it.

"Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares." -Hebrews 13:2 (KJV)

My point is it's awesome to do good deeds. I have a great husband. Because of his good works, I got to attend Church today in a way. His actions were his sermon for me.

As I'm finishing typing this, he has no clue what I'm typing, but he will when he reads this. He's getting back in the truck now, and he says, "I love doing stuff like that."  Maybe, in a way, we attended Church after all!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments